WHAT IS PEER PRESSURE? DOES PEER PRESSURE AFFECT YOU?
ARE YOU CONFIDENT TO BE DIFFERENT?
So lets find out if Peer Pressure affects you or if you are confident to be different. Many of us appear to be confident and know what we want until we go to purchase something that is very different.
The fact is, Peer Pressure is very common. For instance, I travel around the country selling Rainshader umbrellas,which are different from the conventional umbrella. People buy because of the benefits Rainshader umbrellas offers them, also they are ‘thrilled’ when people ask them “where did you get that umbrella”? On the other hand, some people struggle to decide because they say “it looks so different to other umbrellas, what will my friends say?”.
So then, why do we not purchase or do something that is different, especially when it benefits YOU?.
Here are some thoughts on why being different is not something to be worried about.
WHAT IS PEER PRESSURE
There are two type of peer pressure
- Negative Peer Pressure – where you feel you must do the same as other people in your age group, working and social environment to be like and accepted, although it can leave you feeling anxious because you felt pressurised.
- Positive Peer Pressure – when you are inspired by others to become more confident, make good choices to change your life, to better your lifestyle
WHY ARE WE DIFFERENT?
Research indicates peer pressure starts from a very early age within the confines of our families. Therefore no matter what Religion or Country we are raised in, our Parents instill their beliefs into us and guide us for our future.
Those of us who have Brothers/ Sisters born from the same parents will recognise that although we are all raised the same way, in later life we are all different. Does this sound familiar?
- As children we learn to fight for attention from our parents and each one of us carries this out differently to be noticed.
- One of our siblings may shine in a sport/academically and the parents are talking about how good they are, the other wants to shine in something else just to show, they can be just as good and want the same recognition.
- You may show more confidence than your older/younger sibling, talk more or wear outlandish clothing to be different but your parents wish for you to be the same as the others.
Parents think they know what’s best for their children, they pass on their beliefs and those of their parents but over the years society has changed and we need to ensure that our children are raised knowing right from wrong, build their confidence to be different and to allow them to make the right choices for their future.
WHEN DOES PEER PRESSURE START?
Peer pressure can be very strong and start in the teenage years. Some Teenagers lack confidence to be different as they want to be the same so they can fit in with everyone. More importantly they want to be fashionable, have the latest gadgets, have the most friends on social media, but to what cost? especially if they are pressurised to smoke, take drugs or drink alcohol.
In many cases this continues throughout Adult life as many continue to be influenced by Peers, celebrities, TV, Newspapers and social media on what we can and should wear, eat, drink, latest gadgets, cars to buy just be the same as everyone else.
HOW CAN PEER PRESSURE AFFECT YOU AS A PERSON
Positive Peer Pressure should be encouraged as it can make you feel good about yourself, as you:
- have your own personality
- are different
- an individual
- adapt ways to improve yourself
- happy with your body and mind
- you want to be you not someone else
- don’t care what other people think
- learn from your mistakes
- willing to ask for help and learn from others
- not anxious
Negative Peer Pressure can control your life because:
- you are not you
- copy everyone else
- must be the same as others
- want to be loved and fit in with everyone
- you have no individuality
- lack confidence
- although sometimes you may know what your doing is wrong, you do it anyway because your peers have told you to.
- Stay the same person throughout life
HOW DO WE STOP PEER PRESSURE?
We don’t have to stop watching the news, reading the papers/magazines or spending time on social media, we just need to look at ourselves and ask the question
HOW CAN I TAKE CONTROL OF MY LIFE?
CAN I DARE TO BE DIFFERENT?
We all want others to like us, but do we want to be the same as everyone else? walking in their footsteps instead of confidently standing on our own 2 feet? Use your powers to be positive about yourself
This is your life; it is too short to be worrying about what others think and do
Believe me none of it matters, it’s what YOU think, how YOU decide what’s best for YOU and how YOU feel that matters.
Start today –
Ask yourself Who are you? Are you confident? Do you worry what others think?
WHAT MAKES YOU FEEL CONFIDENT?
When someone tells you, you look good or you have done an amazing job?
Making your own decisions? Or.
You buy an outfit that suits you and not just because that it looks good on your friend or celebrity.
IT’S OK TO BE DIFFERENT, DON’T WORRY ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK